Pages

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Cowboy's Breakfast

Current Weight:

15 stone 5lbs

Loss since March 2010:

13lbs

Todays Syn Count:

7.5 on Extra Easy


Mmmmmmm yum yum yum, I LOVE "Cowboy's Breakfast". I can't remember if we made up this name or read it somewhere. I refrain from Google-ing it so I can maintain my inner allusion that we invented this dinner.

This is a huge family favourite, and is one of those meals that allows you to forget you are 'on a diet'. It looks how it tastes: stodgy, sloppy, cosy and hearty.


You'll need:

  • New Potatoes

  • Joe's Syn-free sausages

  • Baked beans

  • 42g Cheddar Cheese per person (HEALTHY B CHOICE & 3 SYNS)

I cube and par boil the potatoes for 7 minutes. Drain 'em, shake 'em and roast 'em in a baking tray with Fry Light & Sea Salt. I add garlic and rosemary if I'm feeling frivolous. The I roast at top of oven for about 30 mins or until golden.

Meanwhile I grill sausages from Joe's Sausages. I used to use Quorn sausages, but my Chunky Lover much prefers the meat variety, and so do I. What I love about Joe's sausages (apart from being Syn free) is that they have no gristle, so you never have that moment when mid chew you are suddenly very much aware of the nastiness that goes into most sausage meat.

When the sausages and potatoes are cooked I lay the sausages on top of the potatoes and cover with the tin of beans. Back in the oven for 5 mins, then sprinkle on the cheese and back in again for another 2 mins.

When the cheese bubbles I serve up a big sloppy mess. Like I said, yum yum yum.


BREAKFAST: SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH BASIL. TROLL LIKED IT TOO; LUNCH: PASTA WITH CHERRY TOMATOES ROASTED IN GARLIC, CUBES OF CHEESE (HEALTHY B CHOICE) 8 OLIVES (1 SYN) SLICED QUORN COCKTAIL SAUSAGES, FOLLOWED BY ONE ALPEN LITE BAR (3 SYNS); DINNER: "COWBOYS BREAKFAST" WITH ONE TABLESPOON OF LOW FAT MAYO (0.5 SYNS); SNACKS: BANANAS AND MORE STOLEN GRAPES.


3 comments:

  1. We used to get syn fee sausages up here in scotland but the butcher that did them shut down sad realy as that left us with corn or what ueed to be free morrisons but nothing tastes like a butchers .U replyed to my message on face book name is jean thanks once again for telling me about joes but i think we would have to send in a big order to make it worth our while .But im going to try ur rescipe for the breakfast looks great but as i say will just use corn thanks once again Jeanxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, I always place an order for about 12 packs of sausages and freeze them until needed. That way I only only every 3 months or so. Joes Sausages are delicious and worth the money. Let me know how you get on with the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - Have you tried venison sausages? They are low fat compared to pork and are very good for you, apparently. Not sure of syn value, I'm not a SW member atm. E. x

    ReplyDelete