Pages

Thursday, 20 May 2010

Sausage Casserole with Butter Beans


Current Weight:

15 stone 1lbs

Weight Loss since March 2010:

1 stone 3lbs

Todays Syn Count:

3 on Extra Easy

Like mother, like daughter it seems. Squirky tasted her first solid food today and cleared her plate with a smile on her face. Poor girl seems to have inherited my appetite. How many Syns are there in a rusk anyway?

I'm finding the Extra Easy plan Extra EXTRA Easy this week, spurred on by my 4lb loss. Also my Chunky Lover discovered this morning he has lost half a stone as a Slimming World husband. He eats 'normally' but has the same dinners as me. Tonight I'm trying an entirely new recipe -

"Sausage Casserole with Butter Beans"

, and it's an adventurous one as neither my Chunky Lover nor I are interested in butter beans. In the name of experimentation we're giving them a go.

For 2 people you'll need:

  • Sausages (I'm using Joe's Sausages again, because they rock)
  • 120g canned butter beans
  • 70g lean chopped bacon
  • 1/2 leek chopped
  • Half a large onion sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
  • 250g passata
  • 150ml red wine (2.5 SYNS)
  • 150g chicken bovril stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Savoy cabbage to serve
  • Seasoning

I fry the sausages in fry-light until brown, then set aside. In the same pan fry the bacon, leek, onion, garlic, rosemary, and cook gently for 5 minutes, until soft.


Next I add the passata, wine, stock, bay leaf and beans. Bring to the boil, cover and place in oven for 40mins.


Then I add sausages and cook for another 40 mins, adding the butter beans for the last 20mins. I season and serve with veg.

I wish I hadn't tried to be clever and cook for 40 mins and leave it in the switched off oven for 5 hours so that it could be warmed up later that evening. It continued cooking in that switched off but hot oven and I came back to an inch of red sealing wax. I salvaged it with water and balsamic and it was still lovely. I wonder what it tastes like if you cook it properly the first time round?

We were right to be suspicious about the beans though. Next time we'll leave them out. We'll just call it Sausage Casserole instead.

BREAKFAST: MELON SLICES; LUNCH: BAKED POTATO WITH TUNA & VERY LOW FAT MAYO (0.5 SYNS) AND CHEESE (HEALTHY A OPTION) ; DINNER: "SAUSAGE CASSEROLE WITH BUTTER BEANS"; SNACKS: BANANA, 2 ALPEN LITE BARS (HEALTHY B OPTION) FROZEN MANGO CUBES AND 4 CHERRY MULLER LITES


No comments:

Post a Comment