Pages

Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Sweet Red Onion Pasta

Current Weight:

14 stone 13lbs

Weight Loss since March 2010:

1 stone 5lbs

Todays Syn Count:

5 on Extra Easy

Wednesday is weigh in day. The efforts of last week, during which I used a grand total of 41.5 syns of a possible 105, has resulted in a
2lb weight loss. Hurrah for me. Hurrah for Slimming World.

I'm about to blow this by enjoying a decadent sea side holiday, but for now I am bathing in a self righteous glow and watching Squirky systematically destroy a packet of wet wipes - she gets more like her big sister everyday.

My Chunky Lover is having a big lunch today, so no need to cook for him tonight. In his absence I thought I'd give "Sweet Red Onion Pasta" a whirl, seeing as when I described it to him he made a gagging face.

As it turns out he was right. It was pretty oniony. Also pasta & potato do not mix well. I won't be making it again. Sorry Jamie Oliver. Generally I find Jamie Oliver recipes a great success and you can find more here. I expect it was my SW adaptation that caused the issues...

WHAT WENT INTO IT:
For four (or two to eat the left overs for lunch the next day)
  • 2 white onions sliced
  • 3 red onions sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Lazy chilli
  • 200g potatoes finely sliced
  • 1/2 stick cinnamon
  • Thyme leaves - one handful
  • Seasoning
  • Grated nutmeg
  • 455g spaghetti
  • 250ml stock made with chicken bovril
  • Parmesan (HEALTHY A OPTION)
HOW I DID IT:
  • Fry the onions, garlic, chilli, cinnamon stick and potatoes in fry light for 5 minutes and then cover and cook for another 8 minutes until golden.
  • Add the seasoning, nutmeg and thyme.
  • Boil the pasta as per the pack instructions.
  • Test the potatoes are soft, if not add a little boiling water and carry on cooking until they are.
  • I drain the pasta and put to one side whilst I add the stock to the onions and mash half the potatoes in it. I then get rid of the cinnamon.
  • I work the sauce through the pasta and served topped with parmesan.

BREAKFAST: 3 QUORN SAUSAGES, 3 EGGS FRIED IN FRY LIGHT, HALF A TIN OF BEANS AND A FIELD MUSHROOM; LUNCH: "SWEET RED ONION PASTA" AND TWO ALPEN LIGHT BARS (HEALTHY B OPTION);DINNER: GALLO RISOTTO PRONTO LEFT OVER PARMESAN FROM HEALTHY A CHOICE; SNACKS: OPTIONS CHOCOLATE DRINK (2 SYNS), ALPEN LIGHT BAR (3 SYNS), BANANA, 2 APPLES;

PUDDING:

2 CITRUS CHIFFON MOUSSES

2 comments:

  1. I just made this and it was pretty terrible. And I love onions. Not a good choice for my first JO recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't say I didn't warn you! To be fair the recipe is my adaptation of JO. Try the real one and perhaps it won't be so bad :) x

    ReplyDelete