Pages

Monday, 19 July 2010

Squid and Chargrilled Peppers

Current Weight:

14 stone 11lbs

Weight Loss since March 2010:

1 stone 7lbs

Todays Syn Count:

6 on Extra Easy

It's weigh in day tomorrow and I don't feel as though I'm going to get a good result. I'm feeling round and bloated and heavy. It's the end of my star week which might partially explain it but I've also come to realise I have some naughty habits. As I tend to stick to about 5 syns a day, when I do catch myself doing something naughty I always think "well, I'm sure I'm still within my overall allowance....". Perhaps I'm not?

Weighing
I cut myself a matchbox sized chunk of cheese and pop it on the scales.
It comes in at 30g.
Do I cut off 2g?
Nah I eat it anyway.

Eating Out Guess Work
When I eat out I make an educated guess as to what the healthiest item on the menu is. I would assume that a baked potato and steak at Wetherspoons without dressing on either would be free. It's not. The meal is 38 SYNS! Someone on Facebook told me this and I had no idea. Luckily I haven't eaten that particular meal but I wonder if the choices I made at the canteen this week, or at Carluccios recently were as low in syns as I thought?

Portion Control
I made a Shepherds Pie for 4 people and worked out the syns based on 4 servings.
I went to serve it and realised I had made too much and end up only using half the pie between all four of us.
Therefore my own serving is less syns than I had previously worked out.

With that in mind, later that night I eat some left overs which now takes me OVER my original syn count and I no longer have any idea what my actual syn intake is....

Not only this but my idea of a portion is somewhat 'enlarged'. I know a lot of food is free, but I do worry about quantity sometimes. The idea of free food is that it fills you up so you self moderate what you eat - but I just keep on bloody eating.

Picking
I made a chicken chorizo casserole and while it was cooking I ate bits of chorizo out of the pan. I served my hubby and I half the casserole each, but I'd already eaten 4 or 5 slices of chorizo.

Being "lean"ient
I normally buy Tesco Healthy Living steak mince which is free. This week it got substituted with lean lamb mince.
I assumed it would be free. You know what they say, if you assume you make an ass out if you and me. Well in this case it makes a bigger arse of you and me because
that Shepherds Pie ended up containing 26.5 syns just in mince alone and I'm not even sure how much of it I ate.

Mis-use of free food
I've made cous cous cake and blended bananas into ice cream, which makes it difficult to have retain any control over how much free food you are eating in one sitting. These 'mis-uses' are acceptable in moderation, but I suspect that what with the other naughty habits I've indulged in this week I might have a bad weigh in tomorrow...

I was going to have left over Shepherds Pie for lunch, but I binned it - I have no idea how many syns are in it any more (it gave me rancid wind anyway! - too much information right?)

I need to get back in control and know exactly how many syns I'm consuming. Starting....NOW!

I know exactly what I have put into tonight's meal which is "Squid and Chargrilled Peppers" and comes from Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights by Sophie Dahl and has been amended.

WHAT WENT INTO IT FOR ME AND MY CHUNKY LOVER
(The actual recipe says it serves 4-6 people, and I've used 4 times more squid than the recipe called for - see, I've no notion of portion control.)
  • 1 sweet red pointed pepper, deseeded and quartered
  • 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and quartered
  • 400g of squid cut into rings
  • frylight
  • Bunch of chopped coriander
  • Some basil leaves
  • 1/2 clove garlic, chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil (HEALTHY B CHOICE PER SERVING)
HOW I DID IT
  • Chargrill the peppers in a pan with fry light.
  • Put to one side to cool and then cut into thin strips
  • Fry the squid rings and tentacles in fry light for 2-3 mins and then mix on a plate with the peppers
  • Blend the coriander, basil, 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic and lime juice - pour over squid and pepper

BREAKFAST: 4 SCRAMBLED EGGS, SOME GRAPES AND A BANANA : LUNCH: SPINACH LEAVES, BOILED NEW POTATOES, 2 BOILED EGGS, TUNA IN MAYO (0.5 SYNS) 8 OLIVES (1 SYN); DINNER: "SQUID AND CHARGRILLED PEPPERS" WITH A SIDE OF PASTA; SNACKS: 4 BANANAS, ALPEN LIGHT BAR (3 SYNS), 3 MULLER LIGHT YOGHURT STRAIGHT FROM THEIR POTS ; PUDDING: FROZEN BANANA [EICES IN TOFFEE MULLER LIGHT YOGHURT (ONE AT 5PM AND ONE AT 8PM), OPTIONS CARIBBEAN COCONUT HOT CHOCOLATE MADE WITH MILK (HEALTHY A CHOICE AND 1.5 SYNS)

No comments:

Post a Comment